Written by:Charlie O'Connor-Clarke
Mejía led Ottawa to their first ever North Star Cup in his debut season last year.

Atlético Ottawa announced on Saturday that head coach Diego Mejía will be departing his post at the end of May, after accepting a new professional opportunity abroad.

Mejía's final home game at TD Place will be Sunday, May 24 when Atleti host Forge FC, and he will officially leave the club after their away match at Pacific FC next Saturday, May 30.

The native of Querétaro, Mexico made an instant impact in the Canadian Premier League, leading Atleti to their first playoff title last season in his first year at the club.

Mejía was a nominee for the CPL's Coach of the Year award in 2025.

In his time in Ottawa, Mejía steered the side to a 25-11-8 record in all competitions. In 2025, Atleti finished second in the CPL with just two defeats and an unbeaten record at home. The team set a new league record for goals in a season, with 54.

The 2025 CPL Playoffs were another rousing success for Mejía, as Ottawa beat CPL Shield winners Forge FC to host the CPL Final, then beat Cavalry FC in a snow-covered championship bout to lift the North Star Cup for the first time.

Earlier this season, Mejía led Atleti to more history, coaching them to their first ever Canadian Championship win against an MLS opponent. Ottawa beat Toronto FC 3-1 in the preliminary round at BMO Field earlier this month to book a quarterfinal berth.

“I came to Ottawa looking for an opportunity to do something special. I leave knowing that we created a moment that will never be forgotten,” said Mejía in a statement.

He added, in characteristically bold fashion: “Our North Star Cup victory was the outcome of a process where we established Atlético as the best team in Canada, playing the best football the Canadian Premier League has ever seen, and we earned our place in the Concacaf Champions Cup."

2025-11-09_ATLvsCAV-581

Mejía's Ottawa team was particularly notable for its attack-first style of play, as well as its reliance on young players. Last year, Mejía played much of the season with a back three consisting entirely of Canadian U-21 players Noah Abatneh, Loïc Cloutier and Sergei Kozlovskiy.

“We see this as an amazing moment for Atlético Ottawa,” said Ottawa CEO Manuel Vega. “When we brought Diego into the club, it was part of a wider plan to build a structure that empowers professionals to develop on and off the pitch. Diego has earned the opportunity to take this next step in his career and shows the value of Atlético Ottawa in our associated global network."

After Mejía's departure, assistant coach Diego Campos will take over on an interim basis as the club embarks on its worldwide search for a permanent head coach. Atlético Ottawa indicated that conversations have already begun with several potential candidates.